- 1). Plant sweet cherry trees in the spring, 20 feet apart in locations that get full sun for most of the day and shelter from cold, northwest winds. Plant at least three sweet cherry trees to ensure adequate cross-pollination, or you will not get fruit.
- 2). Keep the soil well drained, as sweet cherry trees will not tolerate waterlogged soil or standing water. Amend clay soils with equal parts peat, sand and organic garden soil to a depth of twice the rootball and out in a circle to the drip line of the widest branches.
- 3). Soak the sweet cherry trees with water once a week during dry spells in summer. Establish a watering circle that reaches from the trunk to the drip line of the widest branches. Spread a 2-inch layer of mulch over the watering circle and 12 inches from the trunk to hold moisture in the soil and suppress weeds.
- 4). Fertilize sweet cherry trees annually in spring with all-purpose tree fertilizer. Follow directions on the package for the proper proportions.
- 5). Prune sweet cherry trees with pruning shears immediately after blooming in the spring. Cut away vertically growing shoots or suckers from the base of the trunk and throughout the canopy to allow light to penetrate to all the remaining branches.
- 6). Protect your sweet cherry crop from birds and animals. Cover small cherry trees with netting. Hang aluminum pie pans from strings tied to branches to protect bigger trees.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Tell a Guy You Like Him - 4 Tips to Say I Love You to Your Man
- Be Responsible For Your Online Dating Security On Afroromance
- How to Give Her the Greatest Orgasm Ever! An Absolute Must Know For Every Man
- How to Get Your Man Back and Keep Him Devoted to You for Good
- Dating - The Psychology Behind Dating Younger Women
- How To Give Your Girl Multiple Orgasms Tonight! Be The Best She Has Ever Had!
- Don"t Let Your Relationship Be a Boring One
- How to Use Herbs to Increase Sexual Satisfaction
- The Need for Netiquette When Connecting With People
- Why Online Dating is For Everyone - Online Dating Tips
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us