- 1). Consult with your doctor if you have a medical condition or take medications before adding psyllium to your cereal. Psyllium may interfere with the absorption of some medications. If you are taking psyllium to treat irritable bowel syndrome, your doctor can recommend an appropriate dosage.
- 2). Sprinkle a low dose of psyllium on your hot or cold cereal once per day. A low dose is about 1/2 tsp, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stir the psyllium into the cereal.
- 3). Stop eating your psyllium-sprinkled cereal and get medical help immediately if you experience an allergic reaction. According to Medline Plus, some people have experienced problems breathing and hives after taking psyllium.
- 4). Observe yourself for the rest of the day for signs of other side effects. Increasing your fiber intake can cause bloating and flatulence.
- 5). Increase your dosage gradually if you experience no negative effects. Try sprinkling 1 to 2 tsp. of psyllium on your cereal daily.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time