- 1). Purchase or pick ripe peaches. The peaches should be sweet, not overripe and free of damage and disease.
- 2). Wash the jars in the dishwasher. Dishwashers have a "sanitize" cycle that will kill germs. Once they are sanitized, keep the dishwasher on the "heated dry" cycle until you are ready to use the jars. Alternatively, use hot water and soap to clean the jars and rinse well. Boil the jars in water for 15 minutes and leave them in the hot water until they are ready to be used.
- 3). Place the lids in a pot with water. Heat the water but do not boil. The hot water will sanitize the lids and soften the gummed area for a good seal.
- 4). Wash the peaches in cold water.
- 5). Remove the skin by blanching the peaches in hot water for 45 seconds. Remove immediately and place the peaches in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. Slide the skins off using a paring knife.
- 6). Slice the peaches in half or quarters and remove the pits.
- 7). Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 3 tbsp. of ascorbic acid or acid blend to the sliced peaches and stir to evenly coat. This will keep the peaches from turning color over time.
- 8). Make a light syrup for the peaches. Add 2 cups of sugar to 6 cups of water adding the sugar a 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until completely dissolved. Bring the sugar and water to a boil then lower to a simmer. Add peaches and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9). Use the jar funnel to fill the jar with peaches. Add the syrup to the fill the jar leaving 1 inch of headspace. Use a sanitized rubber spatula and bring it down into the jar to remove any air bubbles that may be trapped between the peaches. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of ascorbic acid or acid blend on top for added protection from discoloration.
Place a lid and ring on the jars and seal tightly. Add the jars to the pressure canner and process for a maximum of 10 minutes.
Remove the jars from the presser canner, do not bump them. Place them in an area that is free from drafts and cool overnight. Store in a cool place away from heat and direct sunlight.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time