How to Serve a Petition in Another City

104 80
    • 1). Send the petition by certified mail. You can ask the clerk at the courthouse to do this for you. She may request an additional fee to do so. You also can go to your local post office and ask the postal worker to send the petition certified. Certified mail guarantees that you will receive notice when the petition is delivered to the other party. This also is proof in court if the other party argues improper service.

    • 2). Forward the petition by regular United States mail. This is not as effective as certified mail because you will not receive receipt of service. The other party can simply tell the court he did not receive notice of the petition, and you can not prove otherwise. This will not get your petition dismissed, but it could result in dragging out the process.

    • 3). Hire a legal process server. Process servers are individuals who are contracted out for the purpose of serving court documents. There is a cost for their business. Depending on the laws in your state, you may be able to have any individual who is over the age of 18 and not a party to the case serve the petition in another city. If you choose this route, be sure to have the person who is serving the document have a form of acceptance ready for the other party to sign. Have him sign the form on delivery of the petition. This will prove he was properly served.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.