- 1). Remove all of the freon coolant inside of the air conditioning system by taking the vehicle to a garage or oil change center and having them evacuate it out. The freon should not be vented into the atmosphere, and these collection centers get paid to collect it with special equipment. Most will evacuate the system for free.
- 2). Disconnect the battery by turning the positive terminal bolt counterclockwise.
- 3). Remove the freon lines from the compressor by turning the line nuts counterclockwise. There may be a small amount of latent pressure still in the system, but it should not hiss continuously.
- 4). Remove the drive belt from the compressor pulley wheel by firmly pressing on the torsion pulley arm until there is enough slack to slide the belt from underneath the idle pulley. Release the tension pulley arm, and the belt should have the slack to take it off the compressor pulley wheel.
- 5). Disconnect the compressor from the wiring harness by pulling the adapter plug from the terminal on the compressor.
- 6). Remove the compressor's mount bolts by turning the nuts counterclockwise and sliding them out. Manipulate the compressor out of the engine.
- 7). Replace the compressor by positioning it into the mount arms, then sliding the mount bolts into place. Turn the nuts clockwise until they are firmly seated. Reconnect the wiring harness by plugging the adapter into the terminal.
- 8). Reconnect the freon lines to the compressor by turning the line nuts in a clockwise direction. Check the gaskets while reinstalling them.
- 9). Replace the drive belt by wrapping it over the compressor's pulley wheel (grooves down), then pushing on the tension pulley arm to slide the belt underneath the idle pulley. Release the tension pulley and the belt will tighten.
Reconnect the battery by turning the positive terminal bolt clockwise.
Refill the system with freon using a kit--use kit manufacturer's manual--or by taking the vehicle to a professional facility.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time