- The shamrock is a part of the legendary tales of Saint Patrick.shamrock image by Olga Khoroshunova from Fotolia.com
Irish Catholicism, while not a denomination in itself, has its roots in history and symbolism, with images such as the shamrock and Celtic cross representing the Catholic church as much as they do Ireland itself. If you need to purchase a gift for an Irish Catholic in your life, you need not look far to find ample opportunities for gift-giving. Many shops stock a wide array of items that an Irish Catholic would enjoy and appreciate.
- In Irish legend, Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, used the three-leafed shamrock as a visual aid when explaining the triune nature of God (father, son and Holy Spirit). To this day, the shamrock is instantly recognizable as a universal symbol of one's Irish heritage. Purchase your loved one a tasteful gold or silver shamrock label pin or tie tack that can be worn on any day, not just on Saint Patrick's Day.
Heirloom Rosary or Bible
- A rosary serves as the focal point in a traditional Catholic prayer session, and your recipient can admire and pass down a beautiful heirloom rosary made from silver and precious or semi-precious stones from one generation to the next. Alternatively, purchase the Irish Catholic in your life a beautiful new Bible with a cover made from Scots pine or another wood native to Ireland.
Book of Irish Prayers
- Many people have heard the classic Irish prayer that begins, "May the road rise up to meet you." Many homes in Ireland and abroad have these words and others like them framed and hung on the wall as a constant source of inspiration. Give the Irish Catholic in your life an opportunity to take this inspiration wherever they go by giving them a small book of Irish prayers. The most famous Irish prayers are uplifting and often very witty, and your gift will never fail to make the recipient smile during a difficult day.
Painted Celtic Cross
- A Celtic cross atop a buildingceltic cross image by AGITA LEIMANE from Fotolia.com
The addition of the circle around the Celtic cross serves as a reminder of God's everlasting love. If you are artistically inclined, purchase a plain white ceramic Celtic cross and decorate it with shades such as white, gold and green. Coat it with lacquer before presenting it to the recipient to help prevent the paint from chipping off.