- 1). Plant the papaya in a location that offers full sunlight. It enjoys an area that affords wind protection. The stem of the papaya plant is hollow and can break in excessive winds. The papaya requires well-draining soil conditions.
- 2). Space the papaya plant 10 to 20 feet from other plants or buildings. Space individual papaya plants 7 to 12 feet apart.
- 3). Dig a hole three times as wide and three time as deep as the papaya plant's root system. Back fill the hole up with the removed, loose soil. Place the plant into the hole so that the papaya plant sits at the same soil level as in its nursery container.
- 4). Push the dirt gently around the plant's root system. Firm it down to remove air pockets as you fill in the hole.
- 5). Water the papaya plant thoroughly after planting. Place a stake beside the plant and gently tie it to the stake using a soft cotton twine. The stake will help prevent the plant from sustaining damage in the wind.
- 6). Apply 2 to 6 inches of mulch, such as bark chips, around the papaya plant's root system. Keep the mulch at least 8 inches away from the plant's trunk.
- 7). Sprinkle 1/4 lb. general purpose fertilizer around the newly planted papaya plant every 14 days. Water the fertilizer into the ground thoroughly. Fertilize the papaya once per month when it reaches eight months of age. Sprinkle 1 lb. general purpose fertilizer around the base of the plant and water into the soil.
- 8). Water the papaya plant during the hot summer months every three to four days. Thoroughly water the papaya and then allow it to dry out between waterings.
- 9). Harvest papaya fruit when one-third of the fruit's surface appears yellow. Ripen the fruit at room temperature over the course of approximately three to seven days.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecies - How Do They Fit Into Our Lives?
- Manifesting Your Power to Create Your Own Wealth
- What You See Is What You Get!
- The Salve of Tolerance
- 5 Secrets On The Importance Of A Coach
- Are You Failing in the Present?
- How to Make BIG Changes in your Life When you are Stuck!
- Guidelines For Living
- How to Get Your Way and Come Out Unscathed
- Don"t Wait - Celebrate!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us