- December calendarcalendar for 2007 (december) image by Sergey Galushko from Fotolia.com
December is a busy time of year anywhere you travel because of all the holiday activities, and Columbus, Ohio, is no exception. Visitors and residents can enjoy seasonal events in and around the city, both indoors and out, that include special decorations, exhibits, lights and music.
Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- Each year, from mid-November until January 1, The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is transformed into a winter wonderland with thousands of lights. Trees, bushes, and buildings are covered. As they say on their website, they deck out "everything but the animals." In addition to the lights, you can enjoy music and entertainment at Holiday Encounters Village, get your photos taken with Santa, and decorate a cookie in Mrs. Claus' Kitchen. The zoo is just a short drive north of Columbus in nearby Powell.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
4850 West Powell Road
Powell, OH 43065
- Step back in time in Ohio Village and participate in Christmas activities during their annual Victorian Christmas celebration. The village will resemble a Charles Dickens town, such as would be described in one of his novels. Actors, dressed in period costume, portray characters from Dickens' stories and give live cooking demonstrations, candlelight readings and street caroling.
Ohio Historical Center/Ohio Village
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
- Every December, the Columbus Symphony Orchestra presents the Holiday Pops concert. The "Pops Series," as it is called, is a series of family-oriented concerts designed to engage children's attention. The Holiday Pops concert is the holiday version of the series, with special holiday music for the little ones. The concerts take place at the Ohio Theatre on Capitol Square in downtown Columbus, Ohio.
The Columbus Symphony Pop Series: Holiday Pops
39 E. State St.
Columbus, OH 43215
Holidays at the Conservatory
- Holidays are a special time at the Franklin Park Conservatory. In addition to the regular plants and exhibits, the conservatory is decorated with plants appropriate for the holiday season, including a 15-foot "poinsettia tree," a display of poinsettias in a pyramid style resembling a Christmas tree; a display of gingerbread houses; a model garden railroad; and fun activities and performances for everyone.
Franklin Park Conservatory
1777 E. Broad St.
Columbus, OH 43203