- Skiing is one of the activities you can do on vacation in January.Skiing image by Lucy Cherniak from Fotolia.com
For many places in the United States, January is one of the coldest months of the year. Since January is also Financial Wellness Month, travelers may take advantage of vacation values and flee the cold and often snowy weather by traveling abroad during January, according to USA Today. If traveling abroad is not feasible, consider cold and warm weather vacation destinations in the United States.
- Mexico is a destination that provides pleasant weather all year long. In January, the weather in various parts of Mexico, including Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel and Nuevo Vallarta, averages a high of 80 to 82 degrees and is warm instead of hot and humid. Vacationers may enjoy a variety of water-related activities such as snorkeling, surfing, diving, fishing and whale-watching, reports USA Today. Tourists looking for a place in Mexico that offers museums and galleries, traditional culture and lively nightlife may want to visit Guadalajara. Cultural attractions, jungles, architecture and beaches can be found in the state of Oaxaca.
Big Sky, Montana
- If you're looking for a vacation destination in the United States that offers cold weather, snow and skiing, consider Big Sky, Montana. Big Sky was named one of the "Best Places to Vacation" by CNN Money in 2005. This small community receives more than 400 inches of annual snowfall and offers skiers three mountains, 150 trails and 18 ski lifts. Because Big Sky receives only about 300,000 visitors annually, according to CNN Money, vacationers are likely to avoid large crowds. Besides skiing, Big Sky offers activities such as snowboarding, snowmobiling, dog sledding or sleigh riding.
- Puerto Rico offers vacationers a warm climate --- averaging about 83 degrees in January. According to USA Today, Puerto Rico is one of the most affordable Caribbean islands because of hotel deals and airfare competition, and for U.S. citizens, it's also one of the most convenient places to visit because Americans don't need a passport when visiting. Water sports, surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing and golf are some of the activities visitors may enjoy. Visitors may also enjoy taking a tour around the island or visiting one of the many museums to learn about Puerto Rico's history and culture.
- If you don't mind average temperatures of 36 degrees, New York offers visitors many things to do in January. Visitors may visit Rockefeller Center to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree --- which typically stays lit until the middle of January, or go skating at the Ice Skating Rink at Rockefeller Center. The Ice Skating Rink also offers visitors the opportunity to take a private ice skating lesson or host a birthday party on the ice. During January, New York also hosts the Times Square New Year's Eve Ball Drop, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Parade, the New York National Boat Show, the Three Kings Day Parade, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, the Jewish Film Festival and the Winter Antiques Show.
- Travelers who don't mind experiencing an average of 44-degree temperatures while traveling abroad may choose the United Kingdom as their vacation destination. During January, vacationers can look forward to an increase in available theater tickets, less traffic and sales at department stores and designer shops, according to "Travel + Leisure." January is also an ideal time to visit the United Kingdom and save on accommodations and attractions since the country's official currency, the pound, has lost value against the U.S. dollar, reports USA Today (in fall of 2010).