- 1). Cut all of your pieces from 3/4-inch plywood, using a saw. You will need:
92-inch-by-46 1/2-inch, 2 pieces
92-inch-by-6 1/2-inch, 2
80-inch-by-8 1/2-inch, 2
78-inch-by-14 1/2-inch, 2
74-inch-by-14 1/2-inch, 4
- 2). Sand all cut edges with 220-grit sandpaper.
- 3). Assemble the base. Make a rectangle with the two 78-inch-by-14 1/2 inch boards and two of the 74-inch-by-14 1/2-inch pieces. Space the other two 74-by-14 1/2 pieces evenly inside the rectangle, as cross supports. Secure the parts with wood glue and 4d finish nails. Secure the inside corners with L-brackets, placing two brackets at each corner and securing them with 1/2-inch wood screws. Cover the nail heads with wood putty, using a putty knife.
- 4). Place the two 92-inch-by-46 1/2-inch pieces next to each other with the shorter sides butted together. This will be the platform. Center the base on top of the platform. Affix the base to the platform using L-brackets along the inner edges of the base where they meet the platform. Use two L-brackets for each side. Flip the bed frame over, right side up.
- 5). Glue the 92-inch-by-6 1/2-inch pieces at the head and foot of the platform. Secure the pieces with C-clamps and attach them with wood screws, proceeding from the underside of the platform so the screw heads don’t show.
- 6). Glue, clamp and screw the two 80-inch-by-8 1/2-inch pieces to the platform's sides. You now have a cavity in the platform in which to set a mattress.
- 7). Sand the entire bed frame with 220-grit sandpaper. Sand the corners well to take down the sharpness. Vacuum and wipe down the wood with a tack cloth to remove sanding dust.
- 8). Stain the bed frame using a color of your choice. Stain is optional if you want to preserve the natural tone of the wood. For pale wood, such birch or maple, it's best to paint with a wood conditioner before staining to avoid blotchiness. Apply stain with a brush and allow it to absorb into the wood for five to 10 minutes, depending on how dark you want the color. Wipe the excess stain with a rag and apply a second coat. Allow the stain to dry.
- 9). Apply two to three coats of varnish to seal and protect the wood, sanding between each coat with No. 0000 steel wool.
Set a king-size mattress into the platform's cavity.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Make Diet Easy
- Magnetic Acupuncture And Weight Loss
- Bad moods short temper stress anxious get over your mood swings be nice be happy
- When Can I Expect to Lose Weight by Working Out?
- The Stress Cure - Is Stress Zapping Your Memory?
- Great Leaders Don"t Need To Enjoy Training, Just To Benefit From It
- How To Overcome All Blocks To Personal and Spiritual Achievement
- Inside The Head of a Successful Dieter
- The Epidemic Of Adult Obesity
- Getting Past The Average Line, One Way Or Another
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us