Grants & Scholarships for Single Moms
National Scholarships for Single Mothers
- Several private foundations offer scholarships for single mothers, such as the SUNSHINE LADY Foundation and Raise the Nation. To be eligible for these scholarships, most of these foundations require you to meet certain criteria, such as involvement in community service or being a domestic abuse survivor.
State Scholarships for Single Mothers
- Most states also have scholarships available to single mothers. For example, the Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund is available to single parents who are residents of Arkansas and have primary custody of at least one minor child.
Local Scholarships for Single Mothers
- Check local community colleges and universities in your area for scholarships geared toward single mothers. Local organizations, such as Soroptomist, also offer scholarships for single mothers.
- Search online databases, such as Fastweb.com and finaid.org, to find scholarships specifically for single moms.
- Single mothers are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, which does not have to be repaid. Federal grants for teacher education are also available for those willing to teach in a low-income school. Other grants are available depending on your income and academic record.