- 1). Buy a horn kit. The new VW Beetle has two horns, one low tone and one high tone. Make sure the new horn has the correct tone if you are only replacing one horn.
- 2). Locate the original manufacturer's horns. Both horns for the new VW Beetle are usually just behind the turn signal on the driver's side. The most likely place for the horn in the original Beetle is in the trunk on the front passenger side of the car.
- 3). Unplug the wiring harness from both horns, take out the mounting bolts with a socket wrench and remove the original horn. If you are installing factory replacements, you should be able to use the original mounting location. If you are installing custom horns, find a sturdy location with minimal vibration and mount the horns with the accessories included in the kit.
- 4). Use the original wiring harnesses if they fit the new horns. Otherwise, you will need to use a wire crimper/stripper to connect the new harnesses to the old wiring. You will then be able to plug the new harnesses into the horns.
- 5). Test the new horns to ensure they are working. It should be easy to tell if both horns are sounding and you can also test the horns one at a time if you need to.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time