- Think about what type of seed bead earring you want. Some people want to follow instructions that come with a kit. Others prefer basic instructions that they can manipulate to come up with their own designs. Consider your personal design savvy and look for designs specified for beginner, intermediate or advanced according to your abilities.
- Learn the basic stitches so you can follow instructions easily. Some of the more popular stitches include the brick stitch, fringe, herringbone, netting, peyote and ladder stitch.
- Seed beads can be used as the basis for the earrings or as spacers between larger beads or other materials. Purchase beads of a similar size if you want a uniform look or mix bead sizes and styles for a more dynamic look. You can find translucent, opaque, lustrous and matte seed beads. They also come in silver, bronze and copper. Consider using a beading mat so the beads don't roll around as you work with them.
Types of Earrings
- You can find instructions for making bead earrings in a huge variety of styles. Whether you want to make beaded heart earrings (see Resources) or wide hoop earrings, or earrings with a lacy look (coraling beading), you can find instructions based on your own preference. Websites like Fusionbeads.com offer images and instructions for beading techniques.
- You will be able to find seed bead earring instructions at craft or sewing stores. You also can find links to free instructions and ebooks at websites such as Interweave Press and Fire Mountain Gems and Beads.