- 1). Go through an EMT training program. Community colleges often offer these. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the most basic level of training is EMT-basic. You can continue in an EMT-intermediate and EMT-paramedic program if you choose, but EMT-basic should be enough to qualify you as a volunteer.
- 2). Obtain the proper certification required in your state. The U.S. Department of Labor says that all 50 states require some type of certification, but specifics vary based on location. Most states handle a certification through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
- 3). Locate the nearest agencies that use volunteer EMTs. Contact your local fire departments, hospitals and ambulance companies and search online through Volunteer Match (see Resources).
- 4). Contact the local agencies to find out their exact requirements. Find out how many hours they will require you to volunteer in a week or a month. Ask what shifts you will be expected to work. Find out if the schedule is flexible to fit around your work and family schedule and other responsibilities.
- 5). Fill out an application at the agencies that are compatible with your personal schedule and needs. If you apply to multiple agencies and are accepted by more than one, you can either choose the one that works best for you or do some volunteer work at both.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Splint a Dog's Broken Leg
- How to Cut Schnauzer Hair
- Training a Puppy is a Positive Experience
- When Should Dogs Start Agility Training?
- Tips to Make Your Next Vet Visit Easier
- Overcoming Male Dog Breeding Problems
- How to Teach Your Chihuahua Pup to Eliminate on Command
- Common Havanese Health Problems - Keeping Your New Havanese Puppy Healthy And Happy
- Interactive Outdoor Toy Ideas for Dogs
- The Alpha Dog
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Business & Finance" Categories
Advertising & Marketing Arts & Crafts Bankruptcy Blogging Biz Business Insurance Business News Careers Corporations Credit Debt Electronic Commerce Economics Entrepreneurship Finance Home Based Business Investing & Financial Markets Loans mortgage Outsourcing Personal Finance Renting & Real Estate Shopping Small Business Social Media Stocks-Mutual-Funds Taxes Wealth Building
Stay With Us