- 1). Add carpeting to areas of your house where you previously had hardwood or linoleum floors. Adding a small amount of carpeting to the middle of your room may also help. Not only does it reduce the amount of noise that comes in, but it also reduces the noise leaving your space. You might find it helpful if you live in an upper apartment or share your space with others.
- 2). Cover the windows in your home with drapes and add drapes to the walls of your home. Drapes covering the windows block out both light and a small amount of noise. Drapes placed over the walls of your home help block out noise, especially if you use heavy, blackout-style drapes.
- 3). Apply acoustic texture spray directly to the walls and ceiling in your home. This mixture comes in a spray can and when dry, prevents noises from entering your house. Use the spray on the common areas of your house, including the living room and in any spaces where you have a problem with loud noises.
- 4). Attach egg cartons to the walls of your home using thumbtacks. This mimics the type of insulation used in professional recording studios. The shape of the egg cartons evenly distributes the sound waves as they enter your home, lessening the sound you hear. Avoid the Styrofoam egg cartons, as these don't work as well.
- 5). Flatten cardboard boxes and attach to the walls with thumbtacks, especially in rooms where you have a large noise problem. The cardboard helps block out some of the noise. Block out even more sound by covering the cardboard boxes with heavy drapes.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Hire the Reliable Builders and Installers to Have Beautiful Home Improvements
- How to Choose the Right Curtains For Your Home
- Room Decor of Different Time Periods
- How to Decorate Mahogany Floors
- Nursery Furniture Ideas
- Types of Wall Covering
- How to Paint Your House & Make Every Room Look Great
- Choosing Window Blinds Sydney
- How to Create a Decorative Mirror with Tile
- Ladybug Wall Decorations
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us