- 1). Find out what the local regulations are about swimming in a pond on public land. A city or county may require that you wear a bathing suit, or may only allow you to swim in certain ponds. Go online to your city or county's Web page to see if any warnings or health advisories have been posted.
- 2). Find out if the city or county regularly checks the water quality of the public pond you want to bath in. Some cities test ponds for harmful bacterial overgrowths, such as E. coli, which can cause sickness and even death in humans. Another micro organism that cities test for when ascertaining water quality is blue green algae. This organism is a cyanobacteria, and overgrowths of it can contaminate the air around ponds with toxic fumes that can be fatal to people with breathing problems. Blue green algae can also cause sickness to people who swim in or ingest water that has an overgrowth of the cyanobacteria.
- 3). Test your water. If you plan to swim in a pond that is on acreage you own or is in your backyard, make sure to test the water quality for harmful microorganisms. You can purchase testing kits at swimming pool supply stores.
- 4). Use biodegradable soap, like pure castile soap, made from natural oils, if you plan to take baths in your pond. Commercial soaps may have detergents in them that have a high nitrogen content, and whose build up over time can pollute your pond with chemicals that contribute to the growth of bacteria and algae.
- 5). Use plants in your pond to help filter the water to keep it clean. Marine plants can filter out particles from the water of a pond, and can absorb nitrates that may otherwise accumulate in the water, which may come from birds who also enjoy bathing.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Real Estate Auctioneers Sydney Discuss Advantages for Buyers and Sellers
- The Refreshing Fragrance of Giorgio Armani
- How Long Can A Trade In Forex Last
- What is Preselling Affiliate Products and Why Should You Care?
- Running a Successful EBook Business
- Clients Are Confident In The Results Of A Marine Accident Investigation Performed By STA
- Small Business Investment Act
- How To Negotiate A Flexible Work Schedule
- Staying Entertained on Owner Driver Jobs
- Online Stock Trading - Research and Limit
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Stay With Us