The Secret to Job Success? Find a Role That Fits

103 40
There are two distinct and quite different questions candidates must ask themselves when evaluating potential roles;
  • Am I qualified for the position in terms of my skills, education and experience?
  • Am I good 'fit' for the position in terms of my behavioural preferences?
Typically both candidates and HR departments are pretty good at dealing with the first question.
Matching a set of specified requirements is largely quantifiable.
It can be a box-ticking exercise.
The second consideration is often met with blank faces by both sides, but not giving this area full and proper consideration is a mistake.
Your 'on-paper' qualifications may be spot-on but just because you are well qualified the role could be totally wrong for you.
The University of California School of Medicine has demonstrated that our human brain may have to work up to 100 times harder if we are working outside of our natural behavioural preferences.
Placing such demands on the brain necessitates the use of massive amounts of energy and oxygen.
The brain is normally using around 20% of the oxygen taken in by the lungs, with the remaining 80% available for the rest of the body, used in such essential areas as maintaining metabolic process and providing the body with what it needs at the basic cellular level.
It stands to reason that if you are placed in a situation where your brain is having to work so hard that it is 'robbing' the rest of your body of the energy it needs to function normally, undesirable side effects can be expected, leading to listlessness, fatigue and even more serious functional failures in areas such as digestion.
So if a person is placed in a role in which their natural behavioural preferences are not a good 'fit' they will not only be emotionally unhappy, but also perform well below par physically and can even suffer ill health as a result.
A great CV (Resume) and cover letter can land you an interview, but as well as an interview being an opportunity for a recruiter to learn about you, what you can learn at an interview is critical in identifying if you will be a good 'fit'.
The typical 'psychometric' profiling tools can be a little inflexible in this regard, tending to 'pigeonhole' individuals as 'types'.
Neuroscience-based profiling tools are now available however that understand that we all have natural preferences and we tend to do the things that bring us pleasure and avoid the things that make us feel uncomfortable.
OK, so we have got as far as being offered an interview, great.
How do we use that interview as an opportunity to discover if we're likely to be a good fit for the role, with a resultant high chance of ongoing satisfaction and career progression? Firstly, sit a neuroscience-based assessment and subsequent report.
Much of what you learn will be known to you, but just about everyone really learns things from their report.
You will most certainly identify those behavioural preferences that are important to you.
When these are identified to you, you can 'benchmark' your profile against similar roles, or at least arm yourself with a list of incisive questions that you need to get answered at that interview to give yourself a real chance at career success.
Let's say you are going for a position that at interview you learn is in a high-risk business environment, but you naturally prefer situations with inherent stability and predictability? Yes, you may be able to modify your behaviour for a while, but at what personal cost in the longer term? So.
Learn about yourself first.
Then ask the right questions.
It WILL pay off in spades for you and your employer.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

"Business & Finance" MOST POPULAR