- Some research has shown that elderberry helps reduce symptoms associated with influenza and speeds recovery time. The NLM states that the evidence for this use is "good."
- Elderberry may have a beneficial effect on sinus infections by reducing mucus and swelling. According to the NLM, the evidence for this use is "unclear."
- Proponents of elderberry's healing properties believe it relieves the symptoms of bronchitis. The NLM rates the evidence for this use as "unclear."
- Some studies suggest that elderberry may help decrease cholesterol levels. The NLM considers the evidence for this use "unclear."
- Elderberry is reported to provide relief for a host of other ailments, including colds and coughs, inflammation, headaches, colic and more. There is no scientific evidence for these uses.