- Education requirements include a bachelor's degree in finance. Most employers prefer a master's degree in finance or business administration.
- Previous experience managing all financial operations and overseeing organizational staff generally is required for this role. Leadership and communication skills are also required.
- Responsibilities of a financial director for a nonprofit operation include directing and managing the budget, financial reporting, forecasting and accounting. These professionals also oversee all grants, billing services and the allocation of funding for the nonprofit organization.
- Working with the nonprofit services director, these professionals direct, manage and hire staff related to operational functions and report to the organization's board of directors.
- In December 2009, Indeed.com lists an average annual salary of $92,000.