- 1). Contact available health insurance carriers. The four major providers of individual health insurance in New Jersey are Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield, AmeriHealth, Aetna and Oxford. Each of these carriers has several plans to meet your needs and budget.
- 2). Request individual policy quotes. Provide the insurance companies with your basic personal information (name, address, telephone number, date of birth, etc.) and ask for price quotes on all available individual health insurance policies. Quotes can be prepared within minutes and emailed to you.
- 3). Evaluate and compare policy options. Review the benefit summaries provided by the carriers detailing the features and benefits of each health insurance plan. Pay particular attention to deductible amounts, prescription costs and benefit limitations. Choose a plan that provides adequate medical coverage and fits within your monthly budget.
- 4). Request application paperwork. Contact the insurance company offering the policy you want to buy and ask for an enrollment form. This document can be emailed to you, and all four major carriers have created fillable PDF files allowing you to enter your information using a computer. Application forms are typically three to four pages in length and should not present a challenge.
- 5). Complete and return enrollment forms. Answer all relevant questions on the paperwork, print the forms, sign and date where indicated on the last page, and mail to the carrier’s address on the first page of the application. With the enrollment paperwork, enclose a check or money order for the first month’s premium, plus any additional documentation requested by the company.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time