- 1). Design a propeller template with two blades using computer-aided design (CAD) software. The propeller layers should decrease at regular intervals. Supply the template to a local printer so it can be printed full size for you to trace.
- 2). Measure the length of the pieces on the template to determine how much lumber you need. Purchase 1-by-6 inch pine boards that are free of knots or splits and are not warped. Cut the boards to the correct length, based on the size of the aircraft.
- 3). Transfer the blade dimensions from the template by drawing them onto the propellers. Check for accuracy by measuring the dimensions, using calipers, approximately every 18 inches, then comparing the dimensions to the template.
- 4). Trim excess wood from the blades with a band saw.
- 5). Carve the blades from the center to the outer edge with a draw knife to complete the shaping process.
- 6). Apply wood glue to the flat surfaces of the cut boards. Press the boards together to form the complete propeller assembly. Clamp each wide end and place two clamps evenly spaced along each long side. Let the glue dry overnight, or in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- 7). Drill a 3/4-inch hole through the center of the propeller using a drill press.
- 8). Prepare an adhesive solution by mixing equal parts epoxy, flox and wood glue. Apply the solution to the outside of the aluminum tubing with 0.058-inch thickness.
- 9). Slide the tube through the hole drilled in Step 7 and allow it to dry. Apply varnish evenly to the entire surface to laminate the propeller.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Arts & Crafts Business Books & Literature Culture Cultures & Groups Digital Art Comics & Animation Education Environmental Gambling Games History Hobbies & Science Holidays & party Horoscopes Jokes & Riddles Languages Movies Music News Society & Culture Other - Entertainment Performing Arts Photography Radio & Television Reading-Book Reviews Religion & Spirituality sports-Match Visual Arts Writing
Stay With Us