- According to Military.com, a rank hierarchy includes commissioned officers, warrant officers and the enlisted. Enlisted ranks make up a majority of the armed forces.
- Each hierarchy has different levels from entry level to the highest. Enlisted people start at E1 and top out at E9 while warrant officers go from W1 to W5 and commissioned officers from O1 to O11.
- The military rank structure is used for human resource purposes in terms of pay rates. The rank structure also indicates level of responsibility and leadership.
- Military rank structure designates who is in charge which can be the difference between life and death in a war zone when military personnel need to know whose orders to obey.
- Officers in the military are given their commissions to the officer corps from the President with the approval from the Senate.