- You can bake muffins in a toaster ovenfreshly baked image by Shirley Hirst from Fotolia.com
You can use a toaster oven for cooking many different types of foods. It has a small size, typically from 16 by 8 inches to 20 by 10 inches. The small size is ideal for cooking small portions. If you are a college student living in a dorm without access to an oven, or if you rarely find yourself preparing a home-cooked meal, using a toaster oven to cook frozen foods or even roast potatoes can be ideal.
- The toaster oven's smaller size lends itself to saving energy. Instead of heating up the regular oven to cook something small, use the toaster oven. It will also give off less heat than the regular oven, making it a helpful way to cook on a hot summer day when you do not want the kitchen uncomfortably warm.
- Toaster ovens come with a slide out tray that makes cleaning up spills much easier than cleaning out a regular oven. "Consumer Reports" suggests finding a toaster oven with a nonstick or porcelain interior for the easiest clean-up.
- Toaster ovens are small, but if you lack the counter space sometimes small is not enough. There are models that can be mounted underneath a cabinet to free up the counter space.
- A toaster oven cooks like a regular oven. This means that if you heat up a personal-size frozen pizza in a toaster oven instead of a microwave, the crust will be crispy. The same for cooking snacks or side dishes like like French fries. Toaster ovens heat up quickly and cook foods more evenly than a microwave, making it a good option for quick cooking.
- Most toaster ovens have a broiler function. Some even have interior lights so you can easily monitor the cooking. Most toaster ovens come with built-in cooking timers. The cooking settings on a toaster oven typically feature temperature controls for specific cooking and separate controls for toasting breads and bagels.