The most common and probably the one exercise that will tone abs that is always readily available is the one that can be done at home without the need for any fancy machinery. For this abdominal workout you are going to need nothing more than a flat surface you can lie on. The floor is the most common place. Here is what you do:
1. Once you are lying on the floor you need to lock your hands together by interlocking your fingers and placing them behind your head.
2. From the flat on your back position you are going to slowly but steadily raise your legs and bring your knees to your chest.
3. As you are raising your knees you should move your left shoulder slightly off the floor and attempt to have your left elbow touch your right knee.
4. You should be using nothing other than your muscles to move your body. Do not use your hands to lift your head, or to assist you in any way for this exercise.
5. Repeat the steps with the exception of switching to your right elbow and left leg.
6. Continue with this for at least 10 reps per side for a total of 20. Increase the number of reps as you begin to notice the burn is not there. The burn is what you are looking for.
The next exercise to tone abs that can be done in the home is fairly easy to do and can be done in the home, office or at the gym. Again, this exercise does not require any special equipment. This exercise is often referred to as the Bicycle. Heres how you do it:
1. Start by laying flat on your back with your legs stretched straight out.
2. Put your hands behind your head and interlock your fingers. The same way as you did with the above mentioned exercise.
3. You are now ready to begin lifting your legs slightly and moving your legs as you would if you were riding a bike.
4. It is important that you do not hold your head off of the floor with your hands. However, you do want to slightly raise your head off of the floor.
5. When you are more comfortable with this exercise you can begin touching your left knee to your right elbow and then your right knee to your left elbow.
6. Increase the number of reps and your speed of bicycling as you can. In the beginning you should repeat this exercise 15 times per leg/elbow touch.
Keep in mind - you are not going to see results overnight. But, with consistence and persistence you will be on your way to sexier and more tone abs in no time. For an even faster approach, you can combine both exercises daily. Do one in the morning and the second in the evening. These will double your ab workout. Go for the burn and try to work through it for several minutes before you quit for the session.