- 1). Separate the wires coming out of the transformer to make room for the jaws of the clamp-on meter. You can measure current at any point along the wire that connects to the transformer. You don't have to be near the transformer. Be extremely cautious not to touch any electrical connections or pull any live wires out of their connection points.
- 2). Set the meter to read amps. Many meters have automatic ranging, and all have maximum current limits. Check your meter to be sure that will handle the maximum current you expect to read. If it does not have automatic ranging, set it to the highest range.
- 3). Squeeze the clamp lever on the handle of the meter to open the jaws, and place the jaws over the wire coming out of the transformer for the current you want to read. Try to keep the wire in the center of the jaws.
- 4). Read the amps on the meter. If your meter does not have automatic ranging, drop the range until the meter reads around mid-scale.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Arts & Crafts Business Books & Literature Culture Cultures & Groups Digital Art Comics & Animation Education Environmental Gambling Games History Hobbies & Science Holidays & party Horoscopes Jokes & Riddles Languages Movies Music News Society & Culture Other - Entertainment Performing Arts Photography Radio & Television Reading-Book Reviews Religion & Spirituality sports-Match Visual Arts Writing
Stay With Us