It comes in the form of gel, cream, foam, film and suppositories.
All the spermicides are similar in work but only thing is the amount of chemical (Nonoxynol-9) that contain, which may vary from 1% to 5%.
Function Spermicides prevent pregnancy by killing or immobilizing sperms.
It also blocks the ways so as to sperm cannot reach the eggs.
It contains chemicals (Nonoxynol-9) that make the sperms nonfunctional.
At the some extent Spermicides give you protection from some sexually transmitted infections but it is highly recommended that you should use condoms to protect yourself from sexually transmitted infections (STD).
Types of Spermicides It is available in the form of creams, jellies, foam, vaginal contraceptive film and suppositories.
CREAMS AND JELLIES They can be inserted into vagina with the help of an applicator.
Creams are in opaque while jellies appear to be clear.
It is immediately effective and can be used with condoms.
FOAMS It is like shaving cream.
It comes in can.
You must shake the can well before use.
It is also used with the help of an applicator.
First fill the applicator with foam and insert the applicator into vagina about 2 to 3 inches (The product must reach to the cervix to be effective).
Push the end of the applicator to squirt the spermicides out.
It is effective immediately.
SUPPOSITORIES Suppositories come in the form of capsules.
It is inserted into the vagina and pushed up to the cervix.
It dissolves in the vagina when placed.
It becomes effective only after 20 minutes.
VAGINAL CONTRACEPTIVE FILM It comes in thin squares.
To use it, you first fold this film to half, insert it with the help of your finger into vagina and push up to cervix.
Do this with dry finger unless the film will stick to your finger and you will not be able to place this film in the correct place.
It dissolves over the cervix after insertion and it also becomes effective only 15-20 minutes.
- o You can purchase it without a prescription of doctor.
- o It is easily available in superstores and drug stores.
- o Since it also acts like lubricants, it increases pleasure during intercourse.
- o It does affect future fertility.
- o You may enjoy insertion of spermicides into vagina as foreplay.
- o It does not give you full protection against sexually transmitted infections (STD) like AIDS/HIV.
- o Your partner can feel a bad taste during oral sex.
- o You may feel some genital irritation.
- o You must use it for every sexual intercourse.
You must follow the instruction on the product label.