- 1). Place a set of wheel chocks in front of the front wheels of the Lexus. Lift the rear of the car on the side with the bad strut, using the automobile jack. Place a jack stand under the car near the jacking point and raise it to the frame. Remove the lug nuts using the lug wrench and pull the wheel from the car.
- 2). Remove the valve spring assembly from the lower control arm. Disconnect the antilock sensor from the strut by unplugging it. Disconnect the stabilizing bar link from the strut using a wrench. Loosen the two nuts securing the strut to the axle with a socket and ratchet. Place the second jack stand under the axle to support it.
- 3). Remove the back seat and the tray trim to expose the upper nuts from the strut. Remove the nuts using a socket and ratchet. Pull out the two bolts at the bottom of the strut. Remove the strut from under the Lexus. Attach the spring compressor to the coil spring and tighten it enough to release the pressure from the spring.
- 4). Remove the rod retaining nut using a socket and ratchet. Remove the upper suspension support and the upper insulator. Remove the coil spring and the spring bumper from the assembly. Remove the lower insulator from the strut. Remove the top nut from the new strut. Place the lower insulator on the strut. Place the spring bumper on the strut.
- 5). Place the coil spring on the strut, then place the upper insulator on top of it. Install the upper suspension support on the strut and install the retaining nut. Remove the spring compressor from the coil spring. Place the strut under the car and loosely install the bottom bolts.
- 6). Move to the inside of the car and install the top retaining nuts using the socket and ratchet. Under the car, tighten the nuts on the bottom bolts, using the socket and ratchet. You may have to use a wrench to keep the nuts from turning when you are tightening the bolts. Remove the jack stand from under the axle.
- 7). Remove the jack stand supporting the Lexus from under the car. Place the wheel on the car and tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench. Lower the LS400 to the ground and repeat the procedure on the other rear wheel.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time