- 1). Check the URL of the website. You may see hints about the website host and any technical or scholarly connections. For example, if a university hosts the website, the domain will generally have an ".edu" extension, indicating the educational connection. A ".gov" extension follows governmental websites and often an ".org" extension indicates a nonprofit organization. Commercial websites usually have a simple ".com" extension.
- 2). Find an "About Us" link somewhere on the website and read this information. Read about the author, looking for credentials and qualifications that make the author an expert about the information on the website.
- 3). Check to see what connections the author has -- medical institutions or universities, for example. Find out if the author has a direct connection, such as employment, with respected organizations.
- 4). Find out how current the website information is. If the facts are inaccurate or dated and the links do not work, the website may not be credible.
- 5). Look for sources cited to support the information on the website. Check the references to see how credible they appear using the same analysis.
- 6). Check for indications that the website is a secured website before you enter any information or make a purchase from a website. Look for a site seal somewhere on the Web page. Hover your mouse over the seal or click it to see additional information about the website. If the seal has no function, it may not be genuine. Notice whether the URL has an "https://" at the beginning. The additional "s" indicates a secure website. Check your browser for a "lock" icon also, which indicates a secured website.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- RV Insurance Policy Basics
- Some Tips on How to Find Cheap Auto Insurance
- DUI Auto Insurance - Don"t Drink and Drive!
- Look for the Best Cheap Auto Insurance Online Option
- How To"s Of DWI Auto Insurance
- Auto Insurance - 11 Tips For Better Auto Insurance Quotes
- Is It Okay to Drop Collision and Comprehensive Insurance?
- Compare Auto Insurance Companies - The Fast and Easy Way to Compare Auto Insurance Companies
- State of Ohio Car Insurance Law
- Get Better Rates on Your Caravan Insurance
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Stay With Us