- 1). Clean out the closet. Remove hanger rods and take down the hardware that held them in place. Leave upper shelves that will be useful for storage and won't infringe on your workspace, but take out lower shelves, bins and cubbies. Remove the carpet if you'd rather have a smooth surface for your chair.
- 2). Make repairs. Patch holes and cracks in the walls with spackle. Sand the repairs smooth and paint the closet a light color so that it seems larger. If you have removed the carpet, paint or tile the floor.
- 3). Install lighting. If the closet already has a ceiling fixture, replace it with a can light that will accept a compact fluorescent bulb over the desk area. Put multiple can lights or track lighting that can be focused on the work area in a large closet. If your budget is tight, add an attractive lampshade or globe to an existing light fixture.
- 4). Have an electrician install electrical outlets and a switch to control the overhead light. Discuss how many devices you'll be plugging in with the electrician, and make sure you have enough outlets to serve them.
- 5). Remove the old doors and install bi-fold doors. Bi-fold doors open wider then other standard doors, providing a larger opening, and they won't interfere with the usable space in the closet. Choose a style---louvered, plain or decorative millwork---that matches the décor of the guest room.
- 6). Cut a door to fit into the closet with the ends sitting on each of two file cabinets. The file cabinets are the supports for the desk. If you have a large closet, you won't need to cut the door unless you choose to. Paint, stain or leave the door unfinished. Place the file cabinets in the closet and set the door on top of them.
- 7). Build or buy pre-made shelving and install it above the desk. Use baskets or bins to organize small items that would otherwise clutter the workspace.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Get The Legal Help Needed After An Auto Accident From An Injury Lawyer
- Kind And Helpful Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
- The Consumer Protection Act 1987 - Guide to Claims For Faulty Products
- Making the Most of Personal Injury Compensation Claims
- Choosing Lawyers Dealing With a Car Accident or Personal Injury Cases
- Benefits for Social Security Through Disability Attorney Charlotte
- Personal Injury Lawyer Help for Medical Malpractice
- Injury case by case: Personal Injury in details
- Get Justice From Wrongful Death Attorney
- In Indianapolis Bankruptcy Attorney Advises On The Legal Proceedings Of A Bankruptcy Case
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us