- 1). Hold the end of the paper joint tape at the top of the seam. Unroll the tape until it covers the entire seam. Tear the tape off the role approximately 1/2 to 1 inch from the floor. Set the torn tape close by in an accessible area.
- 2). Load the blade of the 12-inch drywall knife with approximately a 1-inch-tall by 1-inch-wide line of drywall compound. If the 12-inch knife will not fit in the drywall compound bucket, load the blade of a 4-inch drywall knife with approximately a 1-inch-tall by 1-inch-wide line of drywall. Transfer the drywall compound to the 12-inch drywall knife. Repeat the process two more times.
- 3). Hold the 12-inch drywall knife perpendicular to the wall joint so the drywall compound is facing the wall. Center the loaded drywall knife over the drywall joint. Place the edge of the blade in the joint between the ceiling and the wall.
- 4). Hold the drywall knife at a 35 to 45 degree angle to the wall. Apply enough pressure to keep the blade against the wall. Pull straight down and spread a thin layer of drywall compound down the seam. Load more drywall compound on the drywall knife if needed.
- 5). Center immediately the torn paper joint tape over the drywall seam. Place one edge at the joint between the ceiling and the wall. Press the tape straight into place with the palm of your hand and drop it to the floor. Continue pressing the tape into place. A 1/2- to 1-inch area along the floor line will be void of joint tape. This is appropriate because trim board will cover the area.
- 6). Repeat Steps 2 through 4 to seal the tape into place. Allow the tape to dry for 12 to 24 hours. Apply another layer of drywall compound. Allow the tape to dry for 12 to 24 hours.
- 7). Place your hand on the drywall seam. Move your hand back and forth to feel for any bumps or depressions. Sand the surface of the area with 180 to 220 grit sandpaper until smooth.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- RV Insurance Policy Basics
- Some Tips on How to Find Cheap Auto Insurance
- DUI Auto Insurance - Don"t Drink and Drive!
- Look for the Best Cheap Auto Insurance Online Option
- How To"s Of DWI Auto Insurance
- Auto Insurance - 11 Tips For Better Auto Insurance Quotes
- Is It Okay to Drop Collision and Comprehensive Insurance?
- Compare Auto Insurance Companies - The Fast and Easy Way to Compare Auto Insurance Companies
- State of Ohio Car Insurance Law
- Get Better Rates on Your Caravan Insurance
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us