- 1). Set the two 8-foot 2 x 8 pieces onto the table saw and cut them into 55 1/2 inch and 28 inch pieces. Discard the leftover wood.
- 2). Form a rectangle with the longer pieces laying on the outside and screw the boards together. Place two screws at each junction.
- 3). Sand the top and outside of the bed pieces with a rotating sander and 90 grit sandpaper to remove any rough edges. Then, sand again with the 120 grit until the wood is smooth.
- 4). Cut two of the 8-foot 2 x 4's into four 28 inch pieces. Save the leftover wood for step nine.
- 5). Space these pieces 18 inches apart inside the bed frame and level with the bottom of the frame.
- 6). Screw into place fastening the two side pieces on the inside with the drywall screws. Bore a small hole for the outside screws using your drill bits and sink the screw into the hole. Place a drop of wood glue into the holes and cover the screws with a plug.
- 7). Cut out the corner posts with the remaining 2 x 4 pieces. The front corner posts should be 27 3/4 inches and the back posts should be 20 1/2 inches.
- 8). Fasten the posts into position by sinking the screws as in step six. Each post should have two screws fastening to the bed-frame.
- 9). Cut the headboard and footboard pieces from the remaining 2 by 4 inch wood. Cut three pieces measuring 31 7/8 inches. Discard the leftover wood.
Sand and fasten these pieces with one sunk screw placed into each and several finishing nails, also slightly sunk.
Cut out the mattress support board from the plywood. The board should measure 28 by 54 inches.
Set the board into position, it should fit snugly against the sides of the frame.
Fill the nail holes with wood filler and leave to dry.
Sand the entire bed a final time and sand the wood filler spaces even with the rest of the wood.
Stain and varnish as desired.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Splint a Dog's Broken Leg
- How to Cut Schnauzer Hair
- Training a Puppy is a Positive Experience
- When Should Dogs Start Agility Training?
- Tips to Make Your Next Vet Visit Easier
- Overcoming Male Dog Breeding Problems
- How to Teach Your Chihuahua Pup to Eliminate on Command
- Common Havanese Health Problems - Keeping Your New Havanese Puppy Healthy And Happy
- Interactive Outdoor Toy Ideas for Dogs
- The Alpha Dog
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us