- The washing machine may be the culprit.dirty laundry image by jedphoto from Fotolia.com
Maytag Neptune washing machines produced between April 1, 1997, and Aug. 9, 2004, were the subject of a class action lawsuit filed against Maytag. These particular washing machines emitted a strong mold or mildew odor. As a result, clothes washed in the washing machines in question had a similarly strong, moldy smell. While no actual mold is visible on the clothes washed, the moldy smell on clothing might make sensitive people nauseous.
- Search online for product information.computer image by Hao Wang from Fotolia.com
Before buying any major appliance, it is a good idea to research the item. Washing machines are no exception. View online responses when you inquire about washing machines as a way to investigate what experiences other people have had with them. This is especially important if you are buying used appliances.
The Maytag Neptune Front-Load Washing Machine
- The Maytag Neptune front-load washing machine received a lot of customer complaints about a moldy, mildewy smell in the washing machines. As a result, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Maytag, and, in Maytag's own words, "This lawsuit alleges that owners of Maytag Neptune Front-Load Washing Machines have claims concerning the door latch, wax motor, motor control and related circuit board failures, causing the machines to function improperly and users to experience odor, mold and mildew. They are asking the court for repayment of the money spent to purchase and/or repair their Neptune washers or damages equal to the diminished value of their appliances. Maytag has responded that its product is not defective, denies that it did anything wrong, and contends that it attempted to fix or repair all concerns raised by its customers."
- Maytag attempted to repair or replace any washing machines involved in the class-action settlement. It appears the culprit for the moldy smell was either, "A motor board and related circuit board failure" and a "door latch or wax motor" problem, according to Maytag.
If You Own A Maytag Neptune That Smells Moldy
- The settlement is now closed.gavel image by Cora Reed from Fotolia.com
The mold problem on a Maytag Neptune washing machine will not go away by itself. The exact cause needs to be targeted, and the mechanical culprits replaced. No amount of bleach or cleaning will get rid of the moldy smell permanently. If you did not know about this settlement, it is too late to become part of the class-action suit. The settlement is now closed. Consider contacting Maytag to see what they will do.