If your child is difficult to manage, the parenting advices given in this article will help you see what you can change in your parenting style.
At the bottom of this article, you'll find advices for parents who have a difficult time dealing with their child's behavior issues.
Behavior characteristics 4 year old is an important milestone.
Your child's skills are expanding quickly and this year is the continuum of last year's development which also means that previous behavior problems might be persisting.
- 4 year old behavior is defined by better self control and the need to be more self-reliant, making decisions and exploring the world (new activities, new friends).
- As their language skills expand, toddlers are happy to share their own feelings and experiences with others.
They're better at managing their emotions, less centered on themselves and more interested in others.
- Having a lot of imagination and engaging in complex pretend play is common.
Imaginary friends are ok! Not making a clear distinction between reality and fantasy is a normal 4 year old behavior.
Children this age shouldn't be punished for making up stories.
- Children who are 4 have a logical reasoning.
They need to be reassured and things explained to them.
Preventing behavior problems To help you avoid 4 year old behavior problems, below are advices to help you parent your child.
Being an informed parent will help you handle the behavior issues you may face with your child.
- Always praise your child's good behavior.
Children want their parents to be happy so if you emphasize the fact that your child's good behavior makes you happy and proud, you'll see more of his good behavior.
- Some children this age start to ask for some privacy and this should be respected by parents.
- They can participate in chores and have to be praised if they do them well.
- It's important to give them choices.
Still, open questions such as "what do you want to wear?" should be avoided.
It's better to give your child the choice between something and something else so that your 4 year old understands that you're the one who takes the main decisions but that you're open to the discussion.
- Be consistent, firm and loving.
Do not spank nor yell.
Time-outs are effective but consequences of broken rules have to be very clearly explained.
4 year old behavior issues are often caused by misunderstandings or consequences that are not applied by the parent.
- Asking embarrassing question is also typical of 4 year olds and shouldn't be neglected.
Answer your child's questions (even the ones about death and sex) in a simple and clear way.
Use the correct terms.
But even tricky behavior problems can be dealt with the right way if you have effective parenting guidelines to follow.
But parenting tips won't necessarily be enough as the only way to parent a 4 year old effectively is to apply a coherent and consistent parenting method.
The good news is that some parents and therapists have created very effective parenting programs that you can easily apply.
Parenting programs are effective and detailed step-by-step guides that are help parents being consistent as they apply new parenting techniques.
These parenting programs are also made for very difficult children.
All the 4 year old behavior problems can be solved.