Displaced Worker College Grants

104 19


    • A number of college scholarships are available specifically for those who have been displaced from their jobs. Online universities, traditional brick-and-mortar colleges and universities and professional organizations all offer scholarships to help displaced workers continue their education. Typically, these scholarships require you to have been laid off from a job within a certain number of months.

    WGU Economic Turnaround Scholarship

    • Western Governors University, an online institution, helps displaced workers through its Economic Turnaround Scholarship. The scholarships provide up to $1,250 for a six-month term, up to a maximum of $5,000. To be eligible, you must have been laid off within the past 12 months, and be able to furnish proof of unemployment. You must also have an associate or bachelor's degree, and must be admitted into Western Governors University in a program of study you can finish in two years.

      Western Governors University
      4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
      Salt Lake City, UT 84107-2533

    EWI Adult Students in Scholastic Transition

    • Executive Women International offers scholarships to displaced female workers through its Adult Students in Scholastic Transition, or ASIST, program. The corporate office awards $2,500 ASIST scholarships, while local chapters give scholarships in varying amounts. To be eligible, you must demonstrate financial need, be able to document that you're responsible for small children and live within the service area of the chapter you're applying to. Application deadlines vary by chapter.

      EWI Corporate Offices
      515 South 700 East Suite 2A
      Salt Lake City, Utah 84102

    DeVry University Employment Gap Scholarship

    • DeVry University, with over 90 locations in Canada and the United States, awards scholarships to recently displaced workers through its Employment Gap Scholarship. This scholarship grants up to $1,000 a semester, for a total of up to $9,000. To be eligible, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or Canada, must be able to furnish proof you were displaced within the last 12 months, and must maintain full-time status and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5. There are three deadlines for application: June 7, Aug. 2 and Sept. 27.

      DeVry University
      Highland Landmark V
      3005 Highland Parkway
      Downers Grove, IL 60515-5683

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.