- 1). Plant blue juniper in a sunny location with well-drained soil. Blue junipers do not like wet feet. A soil test is generally not necessary because blue juniper grows in both alkaline and acidic soils.
- 2). Space blue junipers 2 to 3 feet apart, depending on the variety and the mature size. Place mulch around newly planted junipers to keep weeds from growing.
- 3). Water deeply each week during the plant's first growing season. Afterward, rainfall should be sufficient except during periods of extreme drought. Don't overwater the blue juniper.
- 4). Watch for yellow and brown tips on the ends of branches.This can signify the juniper's most common disease, Phomopsis blight. The Alabama Cooperative Extension Service recommends applying a fungicide such as propiconazole according to label directions.
- 5). Refrain from using insecticides on blue junipers if spider mites become a problem, because the insecticide also kills the mites' natural enemies and can make outbreaks more severe and frequent. Spider mites usually appear as light-colored flecks and can cause discoloration of the foliage.The University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Service recommends combating mites by introducing a type of ladybird beetle called Stethorus, also commonly known as the spider mite destroyer.
- 6). Fertilize junipers during the spring with a balanced fertilizer.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us