- 1). Log out of the computer and power it down safely. Unplug the mid-tower power supply from the wall. Disconnect any peripherals, such as hard drives or printers that may be attached.
- 2). Remove the screws holding the back or the sides of the case in place with a screwdriver. There are a number of different configurations of cases on mid-tower computers. Some may be in one piece, which can be pulled off from the rear after the screws are removed. Other mid towers may have pieces secured to each side of the computer chassis. Set the screws in a bowl to avoid losing them.
- 3). Slip an anti-static wrist strap over your hand and ground it to a nearby metal object with the attached alligator clip. If you do not have a wrist strap, ground yourself by touching a metal object. The purpose of grounding is to discharge any static electricity that might be built up in your body. This electricity can harm sensitive computer components if a spark is discharged.
- 4). Disconnect any LED (light emitting diode) wires running from the motherboard to any lights on the front panel. These usually fit into plugs on the rear of the panel.
- 5). Look for the screws or tabs holding the front of the case in place. These may be located on the side of the chassis or on the rear of the front panel. Some front panels may simply snap into place, or have a combination of snaps and screws. On a tabbed front, press the tabs in with your fingers before trying to remove the front panel.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us