- 1). Turn the handle of a bench vise counterclockwise to open the jaws wide enough to fit the diameter of the bent rod. Slide one end of a bent rod in the vise jaws. Align the bent section on the rod with the top of the vise jaws. Turn the vise handle clockwise to secure the rod in the vise.
- 2). Close both knobs located on the torch handle of an oxy-acetylene torch clockwise. Start the flow of acetylene to the oxy-acetylene torch by turning the valve connected to the red hose counterclockwise 1/2 turn. Repeat the process with the oxygen valve connected to the green hose.
- 3). Turn the red knob located on the torch handle 1/4 turn clockwise. Light the acetylene gas flowing from the tip of the torch handle by setting a striker in the gas flow and pushing the handle of the striker clockwise. Turn the green knob located on the torch handle until the flame coming from the tip of the torch is bright blue with a well-defined inner flame.
- 4). Hold the flame emitting from the end of the torch four inches from the surface of the rod, aligned with the rod bend. Move the flame around the circumference of the rod until it starts to glow a faint orange color. Slide one end of a hollow pipe over the end of the rod.
- 5). Push the pipe against the rod--in the opposite direction of the bend--while continuing to heat the rod with the torch flame. Continue pushing until the rod begins to move. Stop heating the rod when the bent area is straight with the length of the rod. Allow the heated area to cool for 45 to 60 minutes until loosening the bench vise.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecies - How Do They Fit Into Our Lives?
- Manifesting Your Power to Create Your Own Wealth
- What You See Is What You Get!
- The Salve of Tolerance
- 5 Secrets On The Importance Of A Coach
- Are You Failing in the Present?
- How to Make BIG Changes in your Life When you are Stuck!
- Guidelines For Living
- How to Get Your Way and Come Out Unscathed
- Don"t Wait - Celebrate!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us