being the Ngo Mon gate. It includes, among others, the Palace of Supreme Harmony (Dien Thai Hoa), the Cavalier King (Ky Dai) and the temple worship of
kings Nguyen (The Mieu). At heart, the Forbidden Purple City was home to the imperial apartments.
Also known as "Trooper of the King", the Flag Tower (Cot Co) is surmounted by a flag pole top 37 m. Installed in 1809 and extended in 1831, the mast was
killed by the devastating typhoon that ravaged the city in 1904. Rebuilt in 1915, the tower was destroyed again in 1947. That we see today dates from 1949.
In 1968, the Vietcong did to the flag of the National Liberation Front for twenty-five days.
The nine sacred canons
Situated within the citadel, near the door onto the tower of the Flag, all nine guns played the role of symbolic defenders of the palace and the kingdom,
although they have never been used. They were merged in 1804 from objects stolen copper Tay Son rebels. From a size of 5 m each, their jaws measure 23
cm in diameter. Four cannons near the door Ngan symbolize the four seasons, and five others by the door Quang Duc represent the five elements - metal,
wood, water, fire and earth.
Ngo Mon Gate
Ngo Mon is the main door of the imperial city of Hue, in front of the Palace of Supreme Harmony (Thai Hoa), facing the Flag Tower. Historically, when King Gia
Long built the Imperial City in the year 1804, it built the current location of the Ngo Mon Gate, a platform named Nam khuy?t, before giving the order in 1806
to raise on the platform of the South (Nam Dai khuy?t) Palace Can Nguyen. This palace was completely dismantled a thirty years later by King Minh Mang,
which was rebuilt in the same place, the Palace of Can Thanh and develop the platform of khuy?t Nam Ngo Mon gate.
The door is topped by the viewpoint of the Five Phoenix (Phung Ngu), where the emperor appeared at major occasions, such as the publication of the lunar
calendar. On the same viewpoint that Bao Dai, the last ruler of the Nguyen dynasty, abdicated on 30 August 1945 to a delegation of the provisional
revolutionary government of Ho Chi Minh.
The building has a U-shaped divided into two parts, upper and lower. The lower part is a platform made of bricks, stone "Thanh" and with stones imported
from the province of Quang Nam. The upper part is much smaller, is entirely made of wood with a tile coverage. The main door, the door of Ngo Mon
reserved to the king, is paved with stones "Thanh" tinted yellow. On each side, the doors of Left and Right are reserved for civil and military mandarins. The
upper part, the flag of Ngu Phung 2 wings with additional training seems, from the sky, the 5 phoenix wings and beaks intertwined. The roof of the pavilion is
covered with yellow tiles "luu ly", The decoration is of the utmost finesse: dragons power on the edges of roofs are adorned with decorations of dragons, bats
carrying gold coins in the mouth, burning of apricot blossoms, orchids, chrysanthemums inlaid porcelain color...
On the upper floor of the pavilion, the Queen and the King of the women living in isolated rooms of wood, and were allowed to look outside through the
windows hidden behind blinds, preventing anyone from seeing the.
The lower floor generally remained vacant, except for days of ceremony. King trnant front of a big drum, which is used every day to ring the opening and
closing of the Citadel, and the bells. Signal douverture et de fermeture des portes pour la garde. Ring when the drum at the door Ngo Mon, tonnaient the
canons of the tower at Signal Flag ... Opening and closing doors for custody.
The Palace of Supreme Harmony
The Palace of Supreme Harmony, which were held important ceremonies, is located on the central axis of the Citadel and the Ngo Mon gate. The original
construction dates back to 1805, during the reign of Gia Long who organized the ceremony from its inception in 1806. While slightly down from its current
situation, it was moved to its current location in 1933 by King Minh Mang, and installed on elevated ground. Long and 44 m wide, 30.50 m and 11.80 m high,
the building includes a central part of 5 rooms and 2 shed, and another part divided into 7 rooms and 2 shed.
This grand palace with columns of red and gold dragons, contains in its central part a large panel on which you can read the inscription Dien Thai Hoa (the
Palace of Supreme Harmony). Basically at the top of a platform composed of three steps, dominates the throne of the king, sheltered by a canopy of lace and
embroidered with golden dragons. At the center of the roof tiles glazed yellow, two dragons playing with the moon. In order to further embellish the palace,
King Minh Mang ordered in 1839 to be repainted in red and gold all the wooden parts. Later, in 1894, King Thanh Thai fit to go the floor of colored tiles.
Before the palace, the plaza extends Big Greetings (Nghi Trieu Dai Court) with its granite paving Thanh, and its top two levels reserved for civil and military
mandarins. On each side of the plaza beyond small steles signs indicating the place assigned to the mandarins. At the back of the courtyard, near the bridge
Trung Dao, a new court was reserved for patriarchs of the village who wanted to attend the important ceremonies.
The Palace of Supreme Harmony was reserved for major ceremonies solemn advent royal choice of crown prince, receiving ambassadors, large audiences ...
Had the start of these hearings, which were held twice a month, the king was wearing the hat Cuu Long with nine dragons, and wearing a yellow tunic
attached by a large belt. The assistance was limited to large mandarins, dukes and princes, while other patients outside in the courtyard, each in his place.
Large hearings began early and were to be completed before sunrise.
The halls of the mandarins
In these buildings, restored in 1977, the mandarins were preparing for imperial ceremonies held in the hall Can Chanh. The rooms are located behind the
Palace of Supreme Harmony, on both sides of a court in which stand two gigantic bronze thrones (dong vac) of the seventeenth century.
The nine dynastic urns
Cast in 1835 and 1836, the nine urns (dinh) retrace through their ornamentation, the events of the life of the sovereigns of the Nguyen Dynasty. The carved
motifs, some are of Chinese origin, representing the sun, mountains, rivers ... Top 2 m for a weight of 1 900 to 2 600 kg, dinh are symbols of power and
stability of the dynasty Nguyen.
The Forbidden Purple City
Built in 1804 in the early years of the reign of Emperor Gia Long, the city first called Cung Thanh before he gave its present name in 1822. It communicates
with the imperial city by seven gates, was reserved for the personal use of the emperor. The Forbidden Purple City (Tu Cam Thanh) could not accept that
eunuchs because they represented no threat to the virtue of royal concubines.
The Forbidden City is home to various architectural works which include the Can Chanh Palace, Ta Huu Vu (originally called flags of the East and West), the
Can Thanh Palace, Khon Thai residence, the palace Kien Trung Le Belvdre of Reading (or flag Archives) and the Theater Royal.
The Royal Library (Thai Binh Lau) consists of two floors, has been partially restored. Not far away lie the remains of the Royal Theater (Duyen Thi Duong),
whose construction began in 1826 and was later converted into the National Conservatory of Music.
The Pavilion of Splendor
At the center of the courtyard of the dynastic temple, stands the elegant splendor of the pavilion. Built on a rectangular field in 1821 during the reign of Minh
Mang, the pavilion 21 m long by 13 m wide, has two floors. The first floor, like the ground floor is divided into three parts, while a single room occupies the
entire second. Of Bat Trang bricks cover the floor of the ground floor. The interior is carved with fine patterns of flowers, vines and animals. Front and
behind, two staircases overlook the courtyard of the temple dynasty.
The flag of Splendor was built in honor of all those who supported the Nguyen in the establishment of their dynasty. The temple is dedicated to dynastic kings
and flags Ta Huu Tung Tu and adjacent to the flag of Splendor, are in honor of the mandarins. In deference to divine its meaning, the kings of the Nguyen
Dynasty banned all built within the citadel, buildings that exceed the height of the flag Splendor.