When you factor in exactly how much you are spending each week to commute to work, you can actually live on making much less money if need be when you are working from home. Take your monthly take home pay right now and subtract what you are spending getting to your current position. This is the cash that you have to live on each month. So whether you find a work from home position that allows you to make more or even a little less then what you are earning from your current employer, you are going to have more actual cash to live on each month.
You can set the hours that you are working so that you can spend more time with your family. In my early days of working from home, I only had a few hours of sleep everyday. Most of the time, I was in front of my computer trying to finish the project as early as possible so I could take on another one. Even when I was working as a virtual assistant with a schedule of 8 to 4 on weekdays, I was always tempted to find another project during the evening or on weekends. Most of the time, I could not find the time to relax and spend it away from the computer.
One of the most important things to master when you are working from home is to strike a balance between career and home life. This is very important if you wish to have a happy existence. The following are the things you can do to achieve it:
- Designate a separate space from your home solely for working. This would allow you to get into the right frame of mind when you sit down to work and during the time when you leave the workplace after you have consumed the number of hours allotted for working.
- You have to make a plan. Set a time when you are going to start to work and when it is time to stop.
- Always have a set of goals to achieve during the day and leave the workplace once these are done.
- Limit the working time to a number of hours and take a break during lunch or by taking a walk outside of the house.
- Give your leisure time more attention. You have to plan it and stick with it. Do not sacrifice it for more work.
- Make a list at the end of each working day of all the stuffs that you want to get done the following day.
Most work from home folks tend to get lost tracking the time when they are busy working.