- 1). Place the 1-by-2-by-23 1/2-inch oak pieces on their widest side on a worktable. Measure from one end of each piece and make marks at 4 1/2, 7, 12, 14 1/2, 19 1/2 and 22 inches. Make a mark on these marks that is three-quarters of an inch from one of the long sides.
- 2). Drill pilot holes on each of the marks with a one-sixteenth-inch drill bit. Drill countersink holes three-eights of an inch deep in the same place as the pilot holes to hide the heads of the screws when installed. These are the stakes for the bedside rails. Each rail gets two of these.
- 3). Lay the 1-by-6-inch oak pieces on a worktable. Measure from one end of each piece and make marks at 23 1/4 and 24 3/4 inches. Put the combination square on the marks and draw lines across the material. Repeat this from the other end of each piece. These are the rails of the stake bedsides.
- 4). Set one of the stakes between the lines on one of the rails so the end of the stake is even with the long side of the rail. Secure it with the wood screws. Repeat this with another stake between the lines on the other end of this rail.
- 5). Put the 2-inch blocks against the long side of the rail between the stakes. Slide another rail under the stakes until it is against the 2-inch blocks. Secure this rail to the stakes as you did the first one. Set the 2-inch blocks against the long side of this rail and secure the third rail to the stakes. Turn the stake bedside over so the stakes are on the bottom.
- 6). Lay the 1-by-2-by-3-inch oak on a worktable. Make a mark 1 inch from both ends and then make a mark on those marks that is three-quarters of an inch from the 3-inch sides. Drill pilot holes followed by countersink holes as before. Secure these pieces to the uncovered ends of the stakes with the wood screws.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us