- 1). Take softwood, or greenwood, cuttings. These are the tender young growth at the tips of the branches, taken in midsummer. Insert the base of the cutting into a 4-inch pot of soilless growing medium, such as vermiculite. Place the pot into an unsealed plastic bag until roots form in approximately six to eight weeks.
- 2). Root hardwood cuttings the same way as softwood cuttings. Take 8-inch-long hardwood cuttings in late November. Place several hardwood cuttings into a pot at least 8 inches deep, filled with garden soil or indoor potting soil. Insert the cuttings so that at least 6 inches are under the soil. Keep the pot outdoors in a protected location but protect from severe frosts and temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Overwinter hardwood crape myrtle cuttings in a protected location, such as an unheated garage or basement, in more severe winter climates. Cuttings will form roots and be ready to plant the following spring.
- 3). Take root cuttings in early spring. Dig up established plants and cut 3- to 4-inch pieces of root, potting each one individually. Grow them in the greenhouse until frost-free weather arrives in late spring.
- 4). Propagate crape myrtle from seeds gathered in late fall. Store the seeds in a sealed container until spring. For the best germination results, sow seeds during early spring when the days begin to lengthen. Germination occurs about 21 days after sowing.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Non-profit raising event are volunteers
- SEO Services - Door Of Success
- The Way Satellite Internet Delivers a Different System
- How to Create Themes for Outlook 2007
- How to Check an SSL Encryption
- What is a Channel Manager and Should You Get One?
- Get Effective Web Design Services in Milwaukee WI
- Do you know how to work with hidden Wi-Fi networks in Windows?
- Financial Studies Delhi. Unemployed Student Loan Offers A Big Financial Help For Higher Studies
- Is There Any Way to Find Out If Someone Is Checking Your Facebook?
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us