- According to the American Dietetic Association, vegetarians should eat whole grains. Enriched refined grains can also be beneficial.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruits and vegetables both contain a number of vitamins and minerals. Though both should be eaten, vegetarians should consume a higher number of vegetables than fruits, as these are more nutrient dense.
Legumes and Nuts
- Legumes and nuts are excellent sources of protein for vegetarians. Legumes include soy products such as soy milk and tofu.
Other Protein Rich Foods
- Seeds and seed butters are high in protein. Some vegetarians may also get their protein from dairy products.
- Foods that provide healthy fats are seeds, nuts and avocado. Healthy fats are important to the overall health of vegetarians.
- Calcium is most easily attained from dairy products. For vegetarians who do not eat dairy products, calcium can also be found in green leafy vegetables.