This process aids healthcare professionals by providing access to relevant information about the patient's health history.
Having detailed patient records aids the healthcare professionals provide quality healthcare without having to rely on repetitive inputs from patients, handwritten notes or relying on their memory.
Patient records help healthcare facilities in starting the coding and billing process leading to claims.
It can be said that having patient medical records is vital for both patient care as well as to ensure efficient fund flow management.
Outsourcing medical transcription has been found to be an effective solution for the documentation needs of healthcare facilities.
This enables creation of patient records in a timely, accurate, secure and cost effective manner.
By availing specialist services from a transcription vendor, the healthcare facility is essentially gaining a long-term partner.
Considering that medical transcription is an important link in the chain leading to quality healthcare, it is very important to choose the right vendor.
Given below are some of the questions that need to be asked to enable choosing the right service provider:
- Experience: How long has the transcription vendor been in the business of providing outsourced services? It is important to source a service provider who has the relevant experience.
Picking a fly-by-night operator can, not only be very costly but could also be dangerous.
- Versatility: What is the experience servicing healthcare facilities of all types? It is important not only to ascertain how long the transcription vendor has been in business, but also whether they have experience in serving the varied needs of healthcare facilities of all types
- Check references: Can testimonials be provided? It is important to check the experience in providing similar services, by verifying the testimonials of customers who have already availed similar services.
- Commitment to quality: What are the measures used to ensure accuracy? Accuracy of information captured in the patient record is vital as it affects both the quality of healthcare as well as reimbursements.
It is important to assess the service provider on the basis of their training methods and quality checks in place to gauge their ability to provide quality output.
- Confidentiality: What are the measures used to protect patient data? One of the major concerns while availing medical transcription services from an outside entity is the security of confidential patient data.
It is important to ensure that the service provider is not just using standard FTP and Email for transferring data, as this does not support encryption.
It is important to assess whether they have inbuilt security measures to secure technology.
The security measures used to secure processes and people also needs to be assessed.
- Prompt Services: What is the turnaround time guaranteed? Turnaround time of finished transcripts is another important factor to be assessed.
This can be evaluated based on the availability of the right team (well trained transcriptionists) and the right processes with the service provider.
- Pricing and Pricing methods: What is the pricing method used? Lowered cost of transcription is one of the main benefits healthcare facilities hope to gain from the outsourcing process.
It is important to not only get a quote from the service provider for medical transcription services, it is equally important to find out the components of pricing and the billing method used by the service provider.
- Technology: What is the technology used? The technology used by the service provider plays an important part in security, easy to use features and other benefits like interface with EMR, remote printing & faxing, archive facilities etc.
- Sample of services: Is a free trial offered? A free trial of services gives the healthcare facility an opportunity to assess whether services can meet the standards promised.