They go down well when served with coffee after a meal.
Although they are not expensive to make, they require care and attention to detail because they must look attractive.
Petits Fours are served in small paper cases.
Chocolate Japonais Ingredients:
- 2 egg quantity Choux Pastry
- Chantilly Cream
- Chocolate Flavoured Fondant Icing (made with 225 grams lump sugar)
- Almonds (shredded & toasted)
- Set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Pipe the choux pastry in very small circles on a damp baking sheet.
- Bake in preset oven until crisp (10 to 15 minutes).
- Allow the cakes to cool and then fill with Chantilly cream.
- Dip the tops in warm fondant chocolate icing.
- Decorate with the almonds.
- Place 300 millilitres of double cream into a cold bowl.
- Whisk gently until it thickens.
- Add 4 teaspoons of castor sugar and 3 drops of vanilla essence.
- Whisk until the cream holds its shape.
- 55 grams Plain Chocolate (finely chopped)
- Ganache Cream (see below)
- Gold Leaf
- Pistachio Nuts (shredded)
- Place the chocolate on a plate over a pan of hot water.
- Work the chocolate with a flat knife until it melts.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- While still soft, line the inside of the paper cases with the chocolate.
(You can use the pad of a finger for this).
- Leave to harden at room temperature.
- Break 70 grams of plain chocolate into small pieces.
- Cook in a small pan with 20 grams of plain unsalted butter and 4 tablespoons of double cream until thick.
Beat well while cooking.
- Flavour with a dash of rum and leave to cool.
- Once the chocolate cases are hard, remove the paper casing.
- Pipe in the ganache cream.
- Decorate with the gold leaf and shredded pistachio nuts.