Tips For Property Owners Trying To Clean Mold And Mildew Growth

103 63
Toxic black mold is a health hazard that requires very careful procedures for removal.
The first step is to stop the dampness that feeds the mold.
The steps to take are to fix pipes that leak, use proper ventilation in the bathroom to prevent humidity buildup.
It may also be necessary to install a dehumidifier in a basement if this area seems damp.
Dry out the rooms that you find mold in to prevent more mold from forming since this type of mold can spread quickly.
Before taking any removal action, seal off the room where the mold is growing so that black mold spores cannot spread through the air into different areas of the house.
The door should be covered with plastic and sealed with tape.
Vents should also be covered with plastic and sealed with tape.
Don't cover the exhaust fan which exhausts directly to the outside.
This will enable mold spores that are circulating in the air to be pushed outside.
Protect yourself by wearing a dust mask rated as an N95.
This mask will not let mold spores through.
Wear clothing or a plastic cover up that can be washed or even disposed of.
Wear rubber gloves and goggles to protect your eyes.
It is important to keep the mold from coming in contact with your body.
The spores should be prevented from becoming airborne, and the best way to accomplish this is to spray the black mold with water.
If you are removing any items with black mold on them it is best to bag the objects as soon as you can.
This will help prevent the black mold spores from becoming airborne.
The U.
S.
Environmental Protection Agency says that you should: "Wash the mold with a brush or rag containing a mixture of a few drops of dish soap and water.
This will remove the mold from hard surfaces.
Not all mold spores are visible, so you should scrub adjacent areas with the soapy water.
" The U.
S.
Environmental Protection Agency does not recommend the use of biocides or bleach
.
While a disinfectant like bleach will kill any mold spores left on the surface, this practice is not recommended for a variety of reasons.
After the affected area has been washed, it should be thoroughly dried to ensure that no conditions are left that will enable the mold to grow.
If black mold is growing is growing in carpet, the carpet must be removed and carefully bagged and sealed for disposal.
If ceiling tiles have been wet the chances are good that black mold is growing.
These must also be discarded in a plastic bag.
Some people believe that dead mold does not have to be removed, but dead mold may still prompt an allergic reaction in people who are susceptible to allergies or asthma.
The U.
S.
Environmental Protection Agency said in a recent report that: "It is not possible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment.
However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors.
"
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.