Checking the Ball Joints on a Blazer
- 1). Raise the vehicle and support it with jack stands placed underneath the lower control arms, as close as possible to the lower ball joints.
- 2). Clean the ball joints with a dry rag and examine the rubber seals. If the seals are cracked or torn the ball joints must be replaced.
- 3). Place a dial indicator against the lowest point on the wheel rim.
- 4). Place one hand on the top of the tire and one hand on the bottom. Pull out on the top and push in on the bottom. Record the reading on the dial indicator.
- 5). Place one hand on the top of the tire and one hand on the bottom. Push in on the top and pull out on the bottom. Record the reading on the dial indicator.
- 6). Compare the readings. If the difference is greater than 0.125 inches. The ball joints should be replaced.