- 1). Sand the furniture lightly with sandpaper to remove any oils or grit from the furniture stripping process. Wipe the furniture with tack cloth to remove dust and debris.
- 2). Mix 2 to 4 tbsp. oxalic acid, depending on the severity of the stains, in 1 pt. hot water in a glass or plastic mixing bowl. Don rubber gloves and goggles and wear protective clothing.
- 3). Paint the entire wood surface with the oxalic acid mixture using a paint brush. Don't dip the metal strips on the paint brush in the mixture. Wait 10 to 20 minutes and re-apply if necessary.
- 4). Mix 1 tbsp. clear ammonia with 1 qt. of water. When the wood has lightened sufficiently, wipe the ammonia on the furniture with a sponge to neutralize the oxalic acid and halt the bleaching process.
- 5). Dip a clean sponge in water and wring it out. Wipe the entire surface thoroughly with the sponge to remove the bleach and ammonia.
- 6). Wait 24 to 48 hours until the furniture is completely dry. Sand the surface lightly to remove the gray coating left by the bleach. Oxalic acid may raise the wood grain. Sand out any raised grain before re-finishing the piece.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Bad Credit Personal Loans- Monetary Help Without Any Hassles!
- Make Significant Income by Specializing in Hospitality Cleaning!
- Great Ways to Save Money Through Best Buy Mobile Solutions
- Eliminate Credit Card Debt - Credit Card Companies Are Making Deals!
- Clean Up Credit Report - You Need to Do This
- Keyword Research Tool Review - Market Samurai
- No Annual Fee Airline Credit Cards
- How to Take a Wife's Name Off a Joint Checking Account
- How to Transfer Inheritance From a Bank in Spain to the U.S.
- Wages for LVNs in California
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us