- 1). Sand the furniture lightly with sandpaper to remove any oils or grit from the furniture stripping process. Wipe the furniture with tack cloth to remove dust and debris.
- 2). Mix 2 to 4 tbsp. oxalic acid, depending on the severity of the stains, in 1 pt. hot water in a glass or plastic mixing bowl. Don rubber gloves and goggles and wear protective clothing.
- 3). Paint the entire wood surface with the oxalic acid mixture using a paint brush. Don't dip the metal strips on the paint brush in the mixture. Wait 10 to 20 minutes and re-apply if necessary.
- 4). Mix 1 tbsp. clear ammonia with 1 qt. of water. When the wood has lightened sufficiently, wipe the ammonia on the furniture with a sponge to neutralize the oxalic acid and halt the bleaching process.
- 5). Dip a clean sponge in water and wring it out. Wipe the entire surface thoroughly with the sponge to remove the bleach and ammonia.
- 6). Wait 24 to 48 hours until the furniture is completely dry. Sand the surface lightly to remove the gray coating left by the bleach. Oxalic acid may raise the wood grain. Sand out any raised grain before re-finishing the piece.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Caralluma Basics
- Stanford Research Sheds Light on Gaming Addiction
- How To Avoid The Burnout Problem If You Are A Caregiver To Others
- On A Mission To Find The Best Skin Care Products?
- How to Relieve the Boredom of Exercising On Aerobic Machines
- What Can a Baby Crib Do For You?
- Hey Mate! What" s Yer System Of Kenpo?
- Great Activities For Teaching the Alphabet
- Let Kids Help
- How to Assemble Resistance Bands
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us