All but four of the spots on the list are held by German manufacturers (Porsche, Audi and BMW hold the others). Dodge is the sole American manufacturer. Jaguar earns two spots.
As explained by Insure.Com: To arrive at the average premiums, Insure.com commissioned a study from Quadrant Information Services that calculated the average premiums for a male driver (see full profile below) using car insurance rates from six large carriers (State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, GEICO, Farmers and Nationwide) in 10 ZIP codes per state.
Not all models are available for calculating average rates, especially exotic cars, which is why you won't see Bentleys and Lamborghinis on the list — although you can assume those carry hefty insurance bills.
Averages are based on a single 40-year-old male driver who commutes 12 miles to work, with policy limits of 100/300/50 ($100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries and $50,000 for property damage in an accident) and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive coverage. He has a clean driving record and good credit. The policy includes uninsured motorist coverage. Average rates are for comparative purposes; your rate will depend on your personal factors.
Make and Model/Style & Type Cylinders Avg. national premium
- Porsche 911 Carrera GT2 / 2 Door Coupe / 6 / $2943.78
- Mercedes S65 AMG / 4 Door Sedan / 12 / $2863.03
- Dodge Viper SRT-10 / 2 Door Coupe / 10 / $2851.89
- Porsche Panamera Turbo AWD / 4 Door Sedan / 8 / $2837.39
- Dodge Viper SRT-10 / 2 Door Convertible / 10 / $2815.90
- Mercedes CL600 / 2 Door Coupe / 12 / $2754.80
- Audi R8 / 2 Door Coupe AWD / 8 / $2751.55
- Porsche Panamera S / 4 Door Sedan / 8 / $2744.78
- Mercedes SL600 / 2 Door Convertible / 12 / $2715.86
- Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo / 2 Door Coupe / AWD / 6 / $2706.04
- Mercedes CL65 AMG / 2 Door Coupe / 12 / $2699.74
- BMW M6 / 2 Door Convertible / 10 / $2689.13
- Mercedes S600 / 4 Door Sedan / 12 / $2667.48
- Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series / 2 Door Convertible / 12 / $2655.15
- Mercedes SL65 AMG / 2 Door Convertible / 12 / $2653.53
- Mercedes CL63 AMG / 2 Door Coupe / 8 / $2646.92
- BMW M6 / 2 Door Coupe / 10 / $2627.27
- BMW 760Li / 4 Door Sedan / 12 / $2565.59
- Jaguar XKR Portfolio SC / 2 Door Coupe / 8 / $2537.79
- Jaguar XKR Supercharged / 2 Door Coupe / 8 / $2533.48
Source: Insure.com, from a study commissioned by Insure.com from Quadrant Information Services