- 1). Download and install the free video-conversion program, FFmpeg (see link in Resources).
- 2). Open FFmpeg and then click "Open" and find the WMV file you wish to convert to AVI.
- 3). Click the arrow beside "To" and select "AVI." Adjust the settings to the type of AVI video you would like to convert to.
- 4). Click "Save As" and choose the folder where you want to save your AVI file.
- 5). Press the "Encode" button and wait for the program to finish. Times will vary depending on the size of your video.
- 6). Open the AVI file you have just saved. Play it to make sure it has saved correctly.
- 1). Download and install SUPER. This is another free video conversion program, but it can only be installed on Windows computers.
- 2). Open SUPER.
- 3). Open the folder that contains the WMV file you are planning on converting in Windows Explorer.
- 4). Drag the WMV file from the Windows Explorer window into the bottom of the SUPER window.
- 5). Click the arrow at the top right of the SUPER window and select "AVI."
- 6). Click the "Encode" button at the bottom of the SUPER window. Wait for the program to finish.
- 7). Open the AVI file, which will be in the same folder as the original WMV file. Verify that it encoded correctly.
- 1). Download and install MediaCoder. This program is free but only available for Windows.
- 2). Open MediaCoder and click the "Add File" button.
- 3). Select the WMV file and click "Open."
- 4). Select the "Container" tab on the bottom left side of the MediaCoder window. On the tab, select "AVI" as the file format.
- 5). Click the "Video" tab and adjust the video settings to suit your needs.
- 6). Click the "Encode" button on the top of the MediaCoder window.
- 7). Wait for the program to finish encoding, then open the AVI file to make sure it saved correctly.