- If you want to try producing a potato crop, plant cabbage family plants near the potatoes. Cabbage family plants include broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
- Tomatoes are an easy crop to grow, and therefore popular with hobby gardeners. Tomatoes do well near carrots, peas and lettuce.
- Asparagus is a good crop to put near tomatoes, because the asparagus beetle does not like tomatoes.
Deter Garden Bugs
- Nasturtium flowers, as well as rosemary, sage and thyme, are all garden pest deterrents. Try planting them around the border of your vegetable gardens.
- Onions deter potato bugs, so if you have a potato crop, plant onions next to them.
- All types of squash can be planted near each other. Summer squashes include zucchini and yellow crookneck; winter squashes include butternut, acorn and pumpkins. Squash and melon are good neighbors; melons include cantaloupe and watermelon.